Monday, February 9, 2009

Why Bush Should Be Investigated


Final Scene -- Judgment at Nuremburg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnvtCGj8Sow

1 comment:

  1. I remember the scene well. At the time the movie came out, I was living in Scotland, but had taken a trip to Norway to visit family friends. I had a day's layover in Oslo with no one to see, so I went to see "Doom Over Nürnburg" which was actually in English with Norsk subtitles. By some kind of coincidence, I had been reading that Spring several of the titles in a British publishing venture called "Famous British Trials," especially the British Sector trials. You may know that the Brits were not entirely pleased with having the Conquerors hold the type of trials that the Americans wanted, and did not do things the same way in the British Sector. The Brits wanted to divide cases between those specifically tied to the War from those involving actions carried out under German Civil Law. They favored Military Commissions for the former, but supervised German courts for the latter. Churchill argued pretty forcefully, as I recall, that because the Nazi enterprise was in many respects contrary to existing German law, the German courts were better suited to sifting through issues of culpability. The Americans desired "swift justice," and the Russians desired vengeance and retribution. The French just wanted to whack a few Germans (in a manner which would allow the very extensive Collaboration to be papered over). So exactly how Nurnburg is parallel to Bush is difficult to say. But if America wants to continue to have peaceful transitions of power, the urge to criminalize every policy difference between different governments must be repressed. I have previously noted that Julius Caesar faced no fewer than 5 major legal challenges to everything he had ever done as Consul when he "crossed the Rubicon." The prospect of endless and mind-numbing prosecutions as soon as one leaves office is hardly an incentive to leave office.
    B.

    ReplyDelete